Monday, November 3, 2008

Radio-Active Girl

Whelp, another chapter is completed in this whole Cancer thing. I survived my Iodine Radiation and 3 days of isolation. Two weeks ago today I had a full body scan in an open Machine similar to a CAT SCAN. I laid down on a very slender bed/table, it was cushioned with a pillow, and they put a pillow under my legs, and even gave me a warm blanket. I was thinking cool naptime! FYI I have never had any type of scan before, nothing, zip, all new experience! Ok, so the nice ladies make sure I am cozy and strap me in with my arms straight down at my side (table to skinny for your arms to rest on). They ask if I am ok, at this point "yep, fine." Well, this evil machine that looks so open and friendly adjusts to a mini air hockey table floating an inch way from my face. Not to cozy anymore. I'm thinking, "Great, this isn't good." The nice ladies tell me "it'll only be a five minutes at my head then it'll move slowly down my body." It was the longest five minutes of [HELL] and my life. I tried to keep the happy open spaces like the beach and the ocean alive in my mind with my eyes closed, but yea that did not work. I had a major panic attack!! Well, guess what I'm Claustrophobic! Didn't know that, till this evil machine!!!! AND, SLOW!! SLOW IS AN UNDERSTATMENT! That thing felt like it wasn't ever going to move, I wanted to crawl out the top, and run! But instead I asked how much longer in a sad little voice that prompted one of the nice ladies to ask if I was ok. I said "no" and she asked if I was feeling Claustrophobic and I told her I was and having a big panic attack. She was wonderful! Her calm sweet voice talked me through the rest of the time under the evil machine, she let me know when I could turn my head and ask lots of questions about my daughter and the up coming holidays. Really, she was fantastic.

The next day was Radiation time. Bill and I prepped our daughter Charisma telling her that Mommy had to be a certain distance away from everyone, even her. No hugging or kissing or sitting together for 3 days. She knew I was getting the "Bad Medicine" as she put it. Anyway, I was given Iodine Radiation 103 mCi of Na I-131 it came in a metal jar it looked like a capsule I got to swallow with water. I drove home and I spent my time in our Office/Guest room on the futon. I had my phone, TV and remote, and the computer. I was set, loopy by day 2 but set. It was hard not to touch Charisma, poor thing. She was a trooper though when she wanted to hug me she would come to the doorway and we would blow kisses and give ourselves big hugs (her idea). Bill would come in and rub my foot, and I would yell at him, but it was nice. We survived the isolation just fine, and the "Bad Pill" that made Charisma not gets hugs and snuggles from her Mommy for 3 long days. Let me tell you how excited the 2 of us were when Friday hit and I could hug and kiss her again. Bill was happy to have me back in our room again too. And of course I started back at work on Saturday. Everyone at work has been a great support through the whole thing.

So, life is pretty much back to normal. I got to start my thyroid pills as well that Friday after the radiation. I feel so much better. I am starting to feel like my old self, like I did 10 years ago. I have been so exhausted for so long, I have kind of lost the old me in the process. I am feeling great on the thyroid pills so far. Now I just need the pills to make me look like I did 10 years ago!!!

3 comments:

T said...

I am so proud of Charisma. Such a big girl through all of this. I'm SO glad you are feeling better and your old self again!

I love you sis!

Nonna said...

You have been through so much and I'm so proud of you. Charisma is a "trooper" and you and Bill did an amazing job of preparing her and supporting her through it all. She definitely knows how much she is loved. Cancer free and back to your old self. Yah Hooo!
You'll always be my little girl. Love you.

EB said...

Congratulations! You are in my prayers always, Jennie. And if you find those pill sthat make you look 10yrs younger, please share. ;-) With Love,
Elizabeth